Monday, March 16, 2020

The Peace of God's Word


I snapped this picture last fall when I visited the island of Santorini in Greece.  What a serene moment it was.  The weather was gorgeous, I was sitting on a restaurant veranda with friends, enjoying a sunset dinner.  Almost felt like I had no cares in the world.

Fast forward five months up to now.  The world is in an uproar, working to stave off a viral pandemic.  So much uncertainty. 

In the final days of Jesus' life and ministry on earth, He spoke words of peace to His disciples.  And He did so in a way that brings great solace to us today.  He said in John 14:25-27... “All this I have spoken while still with you.  But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.  Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

Jesus said these words because He knew the disciples would be tempted to fear and worry about their uncertain future.  We are tempted in the same way today.  The future is uncertain.  But the promise from Jesus is quite real:  He will use the Holy Spirit to remind us of Jesus' words, which include this promise of peace.

Jesus' words (aka God's words) in the Bible are eternal.  They are special.  God's voice to us is loudest and clearest when we read His Written Word.  So, during this chaotic and fear-filled time, let's keep going back to Jesus' words:  "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."  

It's somewhat popular right now in various Christian circles to expect to "Hear a special word from the Lord," or "See a picture from the Lord," or "Experience God's chatterbox voice."  Be careful with these vague teachings.  They may lead to emotionalism and false spiritual expectations.  God's voice is most clearly heard in His Word.  And what He has clearly told us, and what the Holy Spirit clearly reminds us of in His leading, is WHAT HE HAS ALREADY SAID IN HIS WORD, THE BIBLE.

For our present need of peace, His Word is clear: 
Hebrews 13:5... “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."
Psalm 23:4...  "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."
Psalm 118:6... "The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?

No comments: